Her first night was hard for her and she had trouble sleeping. She said she was having a lot of anxiety about eating and gaining weight, and she was very homesick and cried most of the night. The nurse had prescribed her some melatonin to help her sleep better. Heather had told me she has been able to sleep better for the most part. She is starting to become more adjusted and comfortable there. She has been emailing me each day and so have I. I'm going to visit her tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday.
Heather asked me to share some updates she has sent me via email. Here is an update from yesterday:
Hey everyone, today is my 2nd full day in treatment at the Emily Program. I am staying at the Anna Westin House- Adolescent/Young Adult (AWHA/YA) residential program at the Emily Program. The website is emilyprogram.com and you can write to me if you'd like. The address is listed under the section about the AWHA/YA on the website and also under the locations, the como avenue one in St. Paul and the location for adolescents is what the address is. Just address it to me and write Anna Westin House- Adolescent with the address underneath. I came here on Monday afternoon so I was here for half of Monday. I've been here for 2 and a half days. The first night was really rough, I couldn't sleep and cried throughout the night, it was a hard adjustment to get used to. Yesterday was my first full day here and I was here for all the meals and snacks which was quite challenging, morning snack and lunch especially. Then I had gotten lab tests done again, blood tests, EKG, physical and probably getting lab tests again tomorrow. I get my vitals checked twice a day. We have groups and individual appt's during the day and some free time as well. Yesterday we had yoga which is twice a week and today I got to do acupuncture during one of the individual appts, I had never done that before and it was a different experience but it didn't hurt and was actually relaxing. We also had a group art therapy and it was a fun group. Tomorrow we have dinner with our parents and then a multi-family group with all the other families. Friday, we have a gardening group and get to plant some things. and this weekend I get to see my siblings and family during visiting hours, which I can't wait til because I miss them so much!
Heather got blood drawn on Tuesday as well as an EKG. She said the EKG results were normal, but she had to get blood drawn again today. She had yoga the first day and said it was kind of weird. She did acupuncture yesterday and said that was alright and that she couldn't really feel the needles and that it was actually quite relaxing. She said her roommate is very nice, and she is starting to get to know the other girls as well. She had a book club yesterday and said they are reading a book called "Life Without Ed". She said they have individual appointments and groups. They have appointments with the doctor once a week, and they see a therapist a few times a week, as well as psychiatrist and dietitian and other appointments. They have an art group and Heather really enjoys that group. They have free time each day, and Heather has a little extra free time as well as the other young adults while the school-age ones are in class there. She spends her free time online and emailing, as well as coloring, and they can also watch tv, netflix, listen to Pandora, and just hang out. They also have things they do together as a group during free time as well. Each Tuesday they have an outing and dinner. She didn't get to attend the first one, because they have them stay back the first week. On Thursdays they have Parent Groups and a dinner with their parents and then have activities with the residents and their parents afterwards. On weekends she gets to have visitors, and this weekend my family and I are visiting her. I have been continuing to email her multiple times a day and she has been emailing me as well and giving updates. I will try to update her blog for her with updates on how she is doing. I am also updating her Facebook for her on her account as well as occasionally putting updates on my own Facebook, too.
I'm proud of Heather for accepting help and being brave. I can only imagine how hard this may be for her, and I know she can overcome this. It may not be an easy journey but I believe in her that she is able to fight the eating disorder and overcome it. The Emily Program is such a great program and I'm very thankful that she is getting lots of help and support there. They will and are taking good care of her and it will be a great experience for her. She is in a good place where they will give her the right help, and make sure she is healthy and gets healthier. Please keep Heather in your prayers during this time, as well as myself and my family. We are having a tough time without her and miss her SO much!
No comments:
Post a Comment